Thursday, October 27, 2005

The importance of privacy (I)

As you may have noticed – or, have you? – that I had translated the Summary of connections to Cecilia Zhang case and put it up here.

During the translation, the question naturally came to my mind again: Why did Cecilia die?

Hatred. Yes, we all know that by now. But how could anyone be so hateful as to take a 9-year-old's life as innocent and beautiful as Cecilia's?

I believe that the loss of my privacy played an important part in the generation of that hatred. As I wrote in my summary:


Since the defendant has the ears of the government and some politicians, they could spin my case easily. Mostly, I think they spread rumors that connected one of the defendant's (Weldon's) daughters with me. These kinds of rumors had the effect of masking their malicious intention (i.e., destroying my career out of jealousy and/or hatred). Besides, they further exposed me to hatred and contempt.

Of course, I do not think they would tell anybody about the reference letter of 1993 - the origin of my grievances - and the subsequent bullying and harassment.


In this situation, I could be described as bad, as nonsensical, or as extreme as possible because I did not have a chance to present my side of the facts.

My current situation is pretty much the same as before except that the people who are the target of spin are now the journalists, because only through them can my story see the light of the day. And the party that does all the spin is the all powerful governments and politicians.

The point is: I wanted to convince you journalists, provided that you have the conscience to care about what is right and what is wrong. However, I could not possibly win an argument – even if I can be sure what the argument is -- without privacy.