Friday, October 27, 2006

Sorry to disappoint you

… but I won't be writing the report entitled The Politics of Polarization, Propaganda and Peaceful Coexistence, although I have set up a template for it and developed a rough idea on what observations I might want to put into it.

Writing has never been my cup of tea. And my depression certainly has not helped. As I mentioned before, many times I felt hopelessly that my writing could never catch up with the development of my story. Indeed, while I was in Ottawa, I even tried to persuade a university student to write for me.

Of course, my recent awful experience, which taught me that words are subject to misinterpretations that can lead to unintended consequences, weighed in heavily in my decision.

Looking deeper, I think the root of my problem lay in the fact that I never enjoyed my experience of the past two years. Yes, I exhibited a sense of self-deprecating humor from time to time. But that's my way to tell the world that "I was down, but not out". It was a show of resilience in the face of overwhelming obstacles.

I hope people will come to realize that my life as reflected in these blogs - with all these protesting, fasting and especially political writing - was not the norm. When I started my journey more than two years ago, I did not expect that I would have to do so many difficult things. I did them, simply because they were the right things to do. As such, I have no regret.

Still, life in the past couple of years feels like a detour to me. What I really want is to get my life back and to be able to learn in person from my hero Mr. Warren Buffett. Nothing will make me happier.

Through both his life and his work, Mr. Buffett set an example for the whole world to follow. In particular, Chinese people can learn tremendously from him in their pursuit of economic transformation. Berkshire's economic principles of operation and Mr. Buffett's business philosophy represent the best of capitalism and will be extremely helpful in dealing with some of the "quality of development" issues that exist at this stage of China's economic development and bringing China's global competitiveness to the next level.

So, if you all would excuse me, I think I have something else to catch up with.