Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ha! Mr. Obama, is that who you are?

Note: The following letter was written early Wednesday morning, January 14 but was not sent out. Overhearing newsmen on TV calling President-elect Obama's inauguration process "getting into the bubble" gave me second thought.


Dear Mr. Obama:

I was going to get on the radio, but I thought I should give you a heads-up.

So, the Bush administration did secretly extract up to $200 billion commitment from Chinese government while his poodle, Hu Jintao, was in charge there.

$200 billion. That's the blood and sweat of millions upon millions of Chinese workers. Is that what you are up to this past couple of days?

Is that why on Monday, hours after I posted my story on the financial crisis, you worked hands-in-gloves with Mr. Bush to ask the Congress to release that remaining $350 billion bailout fund so that you could have complete control over that money? And, when you saw the process was too slow, you became worried that my story might break and the Chinese people might know the truth, so you even threatened your own party to speed up?

And is that why you decided on Saturday to come to Canada, while before that, coming to Canada had been something furthest from your mind because you knew, deep in your heart, that the Harper government had attempted to assassinate me right after Canadian election, an attempt that involved a helicopter, in order to get your opponent Mr. McCain elected? Are you going to deny also that my file was pretty much in the center of your November election?

Is that why you come to Canada, to lend you political support to the Harper government so that both of you could say that it's rubbish when I said that I borrowed those 7 books out of fear, and that there was no fear in this land?

So, then, you and Mr. Harper are going to deny that I had not been assaulted in prison orchestrated by his government, perhaps involving the Bush administration? Are you and Mr. Harper going to deny that I had not been forced to take suicidal-inducing drugs in mental institution? Or, maybe you are going to say that my fear was not rational and I should be taken back to mental hospital again?

Is that why your Treasury department in late Tuesday issued a piece of news about your record deficit so that the American public will be less sympathetic about your stealing $200 billion from the Chinese people to fund your Wall Street bailout?

Is that why Mr. Harper announced yesterday that oilsand was on your agenda during your trip to Canada, knowing that I had advocated increased commodity trades between Canada and Asia countries, including China, so as to create the appearance of a potential conflict between China and U.S. to change the subject?

I noticed that a CNN anchor praised you for your "lawyer's instinct", after I have used the phrase "an act of instinct" in my Sunday blog post.

Yes, I did hesitate after initial findings from my research into the financial crisis. I was shocked that my actions had had such an huge impact on the stock markets.  And you know why? Precisely because I was not aware of it during the market tumult.

No, I did not screw up with my blog. Every word there is true, including "I don't know".

Lying would have been easy

If I had wanted to lie, there was a much easier way to do it. But then, I would not have been truthful to myself.

I could have written that I was totally oblivious to the market tumult at the beginning, and that I borrowed those 7 books because of another emergency, i.e., the tainted milk scandal in China, which broke around the same time.

(Had not been for the financial crisis, China's tainted milk scandal would have garnered much more international attention. Do you know how many Chinese babies got sick? By the way, the root cause of these two crises is the same: unfettered capitalism.)

Indeed, I actually used this scandal to mask my true intention, which was, to repeat, instinctively, to upset Messrs. Bush and Harper's plan to harm me, by borrowing Chinese books rather English ones, and by reading voraciously about the milk scandal online while paying little attention to the market activities.

Yes, it would have been a lot easier for me to write this way and much less doubtful, too. However, there is just one problem: I wouldn't be honest with myself.

I could also have stopped asking questions about myself, those deep, probing questions that I did not know the answers to. But I did. Do you know why? Because I am curious. I am curious even about myself. And I am relentless about getting the truth.

In searching for the truth, I am not even going to go easy on myself.

Library Card

I saw that some people have doubt about my forgetting my library card on September 16 when going to the library. Do you have doubt, too? Let me tell you why anyways.

I don't have a wallet. (Well, I don't.) I only keep two or three essential cards in my pocket, namely, my key card, phone card and/or bus pass. The rest of my cards I keep in my backpack, which I carry with me most of the times when I go out. Yes, that same American Eagle Outfitters backpack.

September 16, 2008 must have been a hot day. I haven't done the research, but it must have been. It takes me about 25 minutes to walk to the library from my home, and I almost always walked in the summer. Since it was a hot day, I must have taken one of my green bags with me, or, much less likely, no bag at all. -- It was rather uncomfortable, especially for someone with a back pain, inside an air-conditioned building when your back was all sweat from walking in the sun with your backpack strapped on. -- That's why I did not have my library card with me.

While I am on this subject, I should add that I did not have a definite idea of borrowing 7 books when I left my home that day. I wanted to do something, and the only thing I could do was to go to a library. The final idea gradually came about after I had browsed a few stacks and sat down with a few books. It was a process and it took some time.

To give you another example, I must have left more than a dozen books on the carrel table after I finally decided to check out those two books from SFU library on December 1, after your news conference. Without knowing what's available before I got to the library, I had no idea that I was going to borrow two books, then return one later that day. 

A Repeated Message

Finally, Mr. Obama, do you remember the voice messages I left with your campaign when I was incarcerated in mental institution here in Canada? Here is last one:

September 26, 2007

After I left you a message through your campaign office yesterday, the hospital cut off my bread again. As I described in my letter to Sen. Harry Reid last week, I am on a bread-and-water hunger strike in order to avoid serious damages to my body. Taking away my bread therefore was a truly inhumane act.

I had long suspected that the patient phone was illegally monitored by the government because of my stay here at the hospital. Together with the fact that the hospital, which is doing the government's bidding, deliberately delayed my written communications with Sen. Reid last week, yesterday's events showed that, not surprisingly, the Canadian government and the Bush administration were working hand-in-hand against me.

That the governments were so brazen in hindering my efforts to communicate with you and your party probably meant that, finally, I am on the right track to get on the news. However, from my past experience, I also knew that this is also the time when the governments would come out in force to spin my story.

I don't know exactly what the governments' current spin is, although I'm pretty sure it would be of a political nature. I am not a politician, but a firm believer of democracy. Yet one of the most important factors that determine the quality of a democracy is how well the public informed. It is in the spirit of pursuing and spreading the truth that my three-year struggle to seek justice for Cecilia Zhang is fought.

However, there are too many people in power who want to hide the truth from the public. That's why my struggle has been such a difficult one. If our political and intellectual elites had been more honest with the people, perhaps I would have been on the news a long time ago. Besides, when people's inclination is to hide the truth, they normally would have to make up bigger lies to do so. Just like a bubble, eventually it would burst.

Mr. Obama, is that who you are? Another W.? Another bubble-builder?



P.S. By the way, I did deliberately post my previous blog on January 11 so as to get out of this business. I noted that you were quite ambitious even when you were young. Perhaps you should know - maybe you knew already - that growing up, I never thought about a career in politics. That's a difference worth keeping in mind.