Saturday, June 06, 2009

Assaulted in prison, tortured in mental hospital

Before I take on politics again, I post here my oral submission to BC Provincial Court on December 4th, 2007, to provide some context on the torture and assault I personally endured during incarceration:

At the core of the 13-page documents I submitted to the Court last Wednesday, November 28th, in support of my application to stay the proceedings was a 2-page letter I wrote to U.S. Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, on October 23, 2007. In it, I disclosed for the first time that President Bush personally knew my telephone activities at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital (FPH) and therefore likely knew that I was being tortured there as well.

In this current submission, I intended to establish that, in order to protect the Bush administration from this damaging information about President Bush, the federal government, mostly through its influence on North Fraser Pre-Trial Center (NFPC), repeatedly obstructed the delivery of my letter to Senator Reid, in various formats.

One. On October 23, 2007, I submitted the 2-page letter, attaching the 6-page FPH update, to NFPC for faxing to Sen. Harry Reid at around 1:00PM. Mr. Fraser, the Living Unit Officer (LUO), signed my request "fwd for action" and later told me that his supervisor had promised to "make it happen". However, at around 10:30AM the following day, Mr. Fraser told me that my fax request had been rejected. I asked him why. He said that he was told it was too long. But I knew it was an excuse because I had earlier requested sending even longer faxes and they were granted. And I noticed that the "Supervisor Remarks" section of my request was left blank. I asked Mr. Fraser to ask whoever was responsible to provide a formal reason for rejecting my fax request. Later a Supervisor signed the section: "Please send this document via regular mail." Merely pointing out an alternative but slower means of delivery was apparently not a solid reason for rejecting my fax. The real reason was, of course, the federal Conservative government intended to protect the Bush administration from the damaging information in my letter.

Two. After my fax request was rejected, I did put a copy of my letter to Sen. Reid in mail on October 24, 2007. At the mean time, I wrote a letter to MLA Jenny Kwan. There were two purposes in my writing to MLA Kwan. One was to ask her to fax my letter to Sen. Reid on my behalf so that Sen. Reid would receive my letter sooner than the regular mail. That's why I sent my letter to MLA Kwan to her constituent office in Vancouver, rather than to her legislative office in Victoria. Two was to convince her, as an opposition MLA in BC Legislature, to intervene in the BC government-run NFPC's treatment of me, especially in light of their rejection of my fax request.

The response I got from MLA Kwan's offices was very confusing at best. For more than a week, I was told that they had not received my letter, which was quite unusual for a letter from Port Coquitlam to Vancouver. It was not until Wednesday, November 14th when a staffer, Stewart, in her office told me that he had in fact received my letter on October 26 and turned it over to MLA Kwan on that same day, without the knowledge of any other staff members in her offices, and that he had subsequently been out of office for quite some time. He also promised that he would fax my letter to Sen. Reid later that day, November 14th.

Three. On October 30, 2007, I decided to re-send my letter to MLA Kwan, together with a one-page note I wrote her on that day, this time by making another fax request to NFPC. This was essentially how my 13-page submission last time came about. Again, having counted the number of pages, LUO Mr. Fraser signed my fax request: "fwd to Programs for possible consideration for faxing."

Two days later, a supervisor from the Programs Department told me that my fax request had been rejected with the ridiculous reason: "There is no letter attached." I guess they ran out of excuses for turning down my fax request.

Four. On November 1st, 2007, in protest of the repeated obstructions of my written communications with Sen. Reid by federal government and NFPC, I started another hunger strike. On November 8th, 2007, in desperation to get the letter to Sen. Reid, I called a relative of mine and asked him to record my letter - as I read it - as a voice mail and send it to Sen. Reid's office via email. However, my telephone conversations with this relative of mine were repeatedly interrupted by either the federal government or NFPC. For several times, whenever I read the part of the letter on President Bush's activities on Thursday evening, September 13th, the telephone line was disconnected. As I said before, President Bush's activities on Thursday evening, September 13th, which revealed his personal knowledge of my telephone activities earlier that day at the FPH, was the information that the federal government did not want me to get out to Sen. Reid.

Finally, I would like to emphasize that my 6-page FPH update article was finished on October 10, 2007 and had been sent out to other politicians without much difficulty before October 23, 2007 when my letter to Sen. Reid provided new information that was damaging to President Bush. So it would appear that this new information was the reason why I had so many problems in getting this letter out.

Also, this new information, together with my FPH update provided the reasonable and logical conclusion that President Bush knew my telephone activities from the Harper government almost instantaneously on September 13, 2007. This is because (1) all of my calls made prior to President Bush's televised speech were local calls; (2) I did not tell anyone about those calls; and (3) I had established in my FPH update article that my calls made at the hospital were monitored by the federal government. (Of course, the federal government has been monitoring my personal and/or legal telephone communications for at least 6 years. That's why I could not find a lawyer. Please see my websites jyu1.blogspot.com and www.sfu.ca/~jyu1 for details.)

Lastly, NFPC, being a correctional facility, is an apolitical organization. It, by itself, should not or would not obstruct my personal communications. It likely was taking orders from the federal government who had been working hand-in-hand with the Bush administration against my cause for a long time.


PM update:

I started running technical difficulties again when I tried to post the 13-page documents, mostly with the website Zamzar, since yesterday. I have just been able to post it on tuzulo.com.

The 13-page documents, consisting of letters I wrote to various law makers while in prison, was submitted to the Court on November 28, 2009, to support my application to stay the proceeding. Later, I found out by phoning Court Registry that Judge Steinberg had essentially kept those documents in his pocket. I complained and the Registry had to track down him to get hold of these documents. Till this day, I am not sure if these documents are in my Court File (New Westminster No. 68600).


Update (20090812):

This blog was originally published on June 6. I took it down on June 16. I re-published it today.


Update (20140124):

I visited New Westminster Court Registry on Tuesday January 21, 2014. I did find the said 13-page documents in my file with a yellow post-it note on the top page. The note, which essentially says that those documents were obtained from the judge or judge's (I paraphrase), was hand-written by someone with the initial "D.M.". This was consistent with my own personal notes from my hospital days. My notes indicated that the clerk I spoke to over the phone was Diane.

I have requested a copy of my whole file.