Sunday, January 16, 2005

"Infections are the Devil's work."

Sometimes kids say the damnedest things, the most famous one being "The Emperor has no clothes".

I knew for a fact that the above saying came from a six year-old, days after I revealed that there is a connection to Cecilia Zhang case. (For a summary, see here.) In fact, I was quite inspired by it while drafting my open letter to MPs.

As for the Devil's work, the same can be said about infection of technologies.

Take, for example, Blogger, my blogging service provider, an otherwise great technology subsidiary of Google, Inc. I have had problems with this company since before the first ministers meeting on health care back in September. My recent blog silence is, in fact, largely attributable to its infection, well, by the Devils.

I have listed some of the coincidences or inconsistencies I experienced with its service on my website. But I wanted to tell my latest experience with them.

After my previous feed -- the result of which is to be posted later -- I did not blog until last Thursday, January 13. And there was no problem with Blogger either, except for "a brief 15 minute outage" on Tuesday.

After I tried to blog by sending out my email entry at 5:10PM Thursday, strange things happened.

  1. My email blog was rejected and returned at 1:30AM Saturday by Blogger. However, the entry did appear on my blog with an exactly the same time stamp of 1:30AM Saturday.
  2. At 11:43AM, Blogger updated its Blogger Status page to say that there was a problem with Mail2Blogger.
This is just another case of an infected service provider doing the Devil's work. The information posted on their Blogger Status page is just a smoke screen.

Now I have to enter my blog twice, one by email just to the time stamp (God knows it's important to get the time right) and the other one from the dashboard to make sure you folks get it in time. That's why you get double vision sometimes.

More technology infections later.