Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Gloom

Even with that funny screen shot, I didn't feel like laughing.

While the major cause of my depression is years of unemployment/under-employment, recent events just made me sad and sadder:

  • The failure to bring justice for Cecilia Zhang made me sad. Dr. Jiang's death made me even sadder.
  • The plight of Darfur refugees made me sad. The negligence of international community made me even sadder.
  • Watching the stream of soldier's caskets coming back from Afghanistan and their funeral services at home made me sad. That there was not enough debate about their role there made me even sadder.
  • Missiles hitting Lebanon. Rockets hitting Israel. Innocent people caught up in the crossfire. The war between Israel and Hezbollah made me sad. Seeing both sides claim victory after a long overdue ceasefire made me even sadder.
  • Last but not least, a sitting prime minister of Japan bowing his head to the Yasukuni Shrine that honors war criminals on the historically significant anniversary of the end of World War II made me sad. That there was scant international condemnation made me even sadder.

I think I may have more to say on the last one.