Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lots of shocking info, lots of emotions

Typing on bed with physical pain is not easy. So I'll just add a couple of emphases to the open letter:

  1. If no politician in this country is willing to join me to challenge RCMP, I will likely be labeled a terrorist by the Harper government as they implicitly threatened to do because of my blog Summer Hibernation. Apparently, that is what the Bush administration wanted. From the tone of former U.S. ambassador Paul Cellucci's comment in spring 2005, to The Guardian editorial cracking nut on the timing of Bin Laden tape on January 20, to Donald Rumsfeld's speech this past February, etc, etc..
  2. As I mentioned in The Meaning of Justice, what affected me most was Cecilia parents' statements. What I did not say, for obvious reason, was how discouraged I was. My sense is that they knew about my (earlier) allegation and knew my allegation to be true when I wrote them last August, because soon after they would have received my letter, I noticed that they closed down their Cecilia Zhang memorial website, which was, according to Raymond Zhang, "specially designed for finding Cecilia". (Whether they knew about RCMP's role is another question.) Also, in last November, when a Chinese reporter interviewed me after my bridge protest, he asked me many strange questions. One of them was whether I contacted Cecilia's parents and what response I got (none). But apparently, he knew the answer already. Yes, Cecilia's parents could be manipulated. But, still … quite demoralizing for me.
  3. Also in The Meaning of Justice, I proposed to donate most of my compensation to worthy causes. I had no intention then, and have no intention now to go through a lengthy legal process. I just wanted to re-affirm everything I wrote is true and to break my story with a bit of good news to soften the blow on my mother. Now that another innocent life is lost, I don't think this plan will either work or be appropriate. So, ditch that.