Monday, August 24, 2009

China’s democratization and its impact on the world (6)

Other ideas that should belong to this series were scattered throughout my blogs since my April installment. Here is a brief summary.

I borrowed the short-hand of a G2 from the media, not knowing what the letter G entailed. From my writings it should be clear, though, that I am not proposing a global governing body consisting U.S. and China. In fact, the very idea of a global governing body implies the existence of the governed countries, which is in contradiction with pragmatic philosophy.

I felt Sino-U.S. relationship is important not because these two countries can become great friends. Frankly, a lot of other countries have better potential than China in that regard. Sino-U.S. relationship is important because, from my own experience, the risk of a potential conflict is great. Therefore my starting point is to find a way to avoid potential conflict between China and U.S. Only after U.S. and China build a enduring cooperative relationship based on that common philosophy, will that relationship become a magnet for other countries to join in. In that sense, when, say, Europe subscribes to the same common philosophy, U.S., China and Europe will become a G3, etc. As such, my idea of a G2 is ultimately an open concept aimed at global cooperation which will necessarily result in a multi-polar world. And I felt that East Asia should be able to make a particularly significant contribution to that global cooperation because of the Confucian sensibilities of its people.

When I first put my thought on the future Sino-U.S. relationship, the key word came in my mind was complementarity. This was precisely a manifestation of pragmatic thinking based on the basic facts I already put forward, i.e., the United States is essentially a central-right country and China a central-left one. Following similar thinking, one can then easily see how I have gotten my ideas of "China as counterbalance to America's hegemonic tendencies", "China and the developing world", a more democratic international order, etc.