Thursday, August 05, 2004

Nasty!

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 6 of my report of the same title. It showed somebody's Internet was quite sensitive to the word "nasty".

*************************************
On or around March 12, 2001, I received an acknowledgement letter from CIC dated 03/01/2001 and postmarked 03/05/2001 to my Privacy Request. The letter was signed by Ms. Nora Saikaley, A/Manager of Operations, Public Rights Administration.

I had suspected that my Internet and trading activities were monitored somehow and told my suspicion to some of my friends in an email on March 12, 2001. In that evening, I found out that the word "nasty" in my email was substituted by 5 blank spaces. See Appendix (to be posted).

I had written the email beforehand and saved it as a draft in my email account. There was no problem there. However, when I tested the email by sending a copy to myself, the same substitution occurred. It was as if somebody was able to "filter out" the word somewhere on the Internet.

Puzzled, I went to www.dictionary.com and put in the word "nasty". However, it returned the word "nothing" and its definition. I tried several other words. They all returned the same page, i.e., the definition of the word "nothing". It looked like somebody was able to switch any input words to the word "nothing" just before I submitted it.

I tried another website www.webster.com. No matter what word I put in, this one always returned the web page where there was nothing in the input cell, together with the following error message: "Invalid input. No entries found". It looked like somebody was able to delete my words before I submitted it.

Later, I realized that the keyword here was nothing. And the message was that there is nothing on my immigration file, as I came to know from Ms. Saikaley three days later. It's just one of the many incidents where CIC and these individuals had collaborated to bully me.

These Internet incidents occurred while I was using public computers.

On March 15, 2001, a month had passed since CIC received my initial letter. So I called Ms. Nora Saikaley to seek the status of my Privacy Request. She put me on hold, presumably checked her computer, came back telling me, in a puzzled tone, that "there is nothing on your file". She then asked me a couple of factual questions, exclaimed "Oh, boy", and told me that she would get back to me either later that day or the next day.

(More in report.)


*****

Links added April 19, 2005:

My dealings with CIC re my Privacy Request: http://www.sfu.ca/~jyu1/Report/6.htm#_Toc88974360

Complete report: http://www.sfu.ca/~jyu1/Report/TOC.htm

My other website: http://www.sfu.ca/~jyu1