Tuesday, August 10, 2004

A Strange Phone Call

The following is another excerpt from Chapter 6, with some editing. This call was detailed in my report primarily because it was the first of a string of strange or harassing phone calls I received in fall 2003.

*****

Between the start of the Iraq War and the end of summer, I received virtually no intrusive or harassing phone calls. The only exception was the one on April 12, 2003, which I believe was related to my becoming acquainted with their agent TP (full name withheld at this time).

At the end of summer of 2003, however, strange calls started coming in. The first such one was on Saturday August 23, 2003, at 4:15PM and it was clearly of a harassing nature.

When I took the call, the male caller spoke in a foreign language – if I had to guess, I would say Vietnamese, which happens to be agent TP's first language – for about ten seconds and then hang up. I used *69 and got the number 604-xxx-xxxx (number withheld). I subsequently chose option No. 1 to automatically return the call, but was told that the line was busy and that I would be notified when the line became free. When the phone rang, indicating the line was free, I immediately picked up the phone. Again, I heard a busy tone and a system message saying that the line had just become busy again.

This repeated for about half a dozen times until I finally got through at 4:24PM. Another male, who was clearly a minor, answered my call. I asked him if anybody had just called me. He replied: “I don’t know. I just came home. My name is Robert Robinson. I don’t know if somebody called you because I just came home.” I tried to ask him additional questions, but he hung up on me. His reply did not sound like what people would normally say on the phone. In fact, he sounded like reading from a script.

I called again at 4:27PM but the line was busy. I called two more time, at 4:38PM and 5:31PM. In both instances I was able to get through but nobody took my call at the other end.

*****

Update 05/29/2005:

This part of the report is here.